Closing Date: Wednesday, 12/06/2019
Job Vacancy: Imam
We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic Imam to be part of the Edinburgh Central Mosque team, and to serve our unique community on a full-time basis along-side our current Imam.
- Provide Islamic religious guidance, practices, and leadership to the Muslim community at Edinburgh Central Mosque in accordance with the teachings of the Holy Quran and the Sunnah of Prophet Mohammad (peace and blessings be upon him).
- Establish and promote educational and extracurricular programs for adults and youth
- Lead the establishment of a unified Muslim community, fostering unity and a sense of inclusion among all community members from all backgrounds and cultures
- Give the Khutbah and lead prayer for Jumu’ah and Eid Prayers.
- Lead the five daily prayers with assistance from volunteer Imams.
- Provide funeral services and guidance.
- Conduct matrimonial services.
- Maintain regular and convenient office hours at the Mosque for community members to seek religious counsel and guidance.
- Offer Islamic family and youth counselling and guidance as needed.
- Provide Hadith studies, Seerah and Fiqh lessons, and other Islamic topics to increase knowledge and enhance the spiritual growth of community members.
- Participate in the community activities that further good interfaith and public relations for Islam and Muslims.
- Develop and implement educational and extracurricular programs for both youth and adults.
- Develop annual plans for religious and educational programs at the mosque and present to the Executive Director.
- Lead by example to prevent discrimination on any basis including but not limited to school of thought, gender, race, nationality, ethnic origin, citizenship, political affiliation, or economic status.
- Welcome and host a broad range of groups that visit the mosque to learn about Islam and Muslim community when and as needed.
- Design and manage educational and social programs for New Reverts (Converts).
- Conduct oneself in a manner that is respectful of the history and diversity of the Muslim community.
- Interact with all persons and organizations, Muslim and Non-Muslim, in a manner that reflects positively on the Mosque.
- Provide consultation to the Executive Director on religious matters, community issues, and Mosque activities as requested.
- Other duties as assigned by line manager or executive director
- A degree in Islamic Studies or related field from an accredited educational institution.
- Memorization of at least 10 Juz’ from the Quran – Hafiz of Quran is desirable
- Fluency in English and Arabic (Spoken and written).
- Comprehensive knowledge of Islamic Shariah, and must be familiar with various schools of fiqh and have an awareness of the heritage of different Muslim cultures and background.
- Previous experience as an Imam.
- Ability to interact with and relate to youth.
- Ability to work with people of different cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to teach.
- Basic Computing/IT skills i.e use of MS Office & Outlook email, photocopying & printing etc
- Demonstrated experience in conflict prevention and resolution.
- Demonstrated experience in Islamic family and youth counselling.
- Has a dynamic personality and must have qualities such as patience, compassion, humility, tenacity, good character, communication skills and time consciousness.
- Experience in speaking with Non-Muslims about Islam.
Hours and Days of Work:
Employment is on a full-time basis at 37 hours per week Monday – Sunday. Due to the nature of the role, working evenings and/or weekends will be required sometimes throughout the year to ensure continued operations of the organisation and coverage of all religious programs such as 5 daily prayers.
Salary: The starting annual salary is £ 24,000
Interested applicants should fill the application form and send it along with an updated CV including relevant employment and educational background, in addition to contact details of two references to [email protected]